Monday, January 5, 2009

Deep Fried Turkey --have you ever tried it?




My mother in law (mil) has always wanted to try deep frying a turkey. I thought what the heck why not? So my husband borrowed a deep fryer from a friend of his (thank you Russ!) I had already had a turkey in my freezer so I took it out two days prior bcs the turkey has to be completely defrosted.






Russ gave us a recipe for a turkey rub and I went to town. Needless to say it felt weird but was an adventure! I was told to pull back the skin and get the rub underneith. We tooth picked the skin back into place, although the toothpicks I had weren't the greatest.












Once the oil was to 350 degree's it was time to put the turkey in... dropping a turkey in hot oil was not the funnest thing on the planet, it happened to be super windy here that day so we had to have the fryer in the garage. I dont reccomend you doing it there, but thats what we did.












The turkey was to cook 3 minutes per lb, plus 5 minutes per bird. So once our time was up, we went to pull out the turkey. Which was scary and exciting at the same time...






OH MY!!!! we were so suprised to see this when we pulled it out of the oil...........






This definatly was not what we thought we would see! The recipe for the rub included brown sugar and we were told to rub the remainaing rub on the outside of the turkey. That is why we think it turned black. We thought for sure that our dinner was charcol!!!!








But to our suprise once we cut into it..... it was so amazingly moist and tastey, the best turkey ever! it had amazing flavor, and wow, it was just so good! Didnt even taste like the traditional turkey at all!!


















I definatly suggest you try this at least once in your life! Since you deep fry it in peanut oil, and it cooks so quickly, its not saturated with the oil, and it is not greasy. I do suggest not to put brown sugar on the outside of the bird!


The rub includes; salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, thyme, oregano, sage and a dash of cumin. Under the skin rub, add brown sugar.


Once dinner was over Travis and our dog Abe had to relax on the floor from being so full!! I know it looks weird, but this dog loves Travis and this is his special time w/ him...






































1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! What an exciting turkey experience!

Cute pic of Travis & the dog! LOL

And YAY!!!! You've started a blog! :)))