Monday, January 26, 2009

Seven Degree's this morning...



Yes I do realize its still January and I live in the high desert but really? 7 Degree's is cold! We built our house 14 miles outside of the nearest town (population 10,000) a little over two years ago and when building in the high desert you run into things like putting in a well. Wells in the high desert out by the "rim" (a deep drop off which goes down to the crooked river)... is a tricky thing bcs they have to be so deep. We opted out of the well since the neighborhood we live in has community wells. Allowing our mortgage to be 30k less and for me to be home most of the time w/ the girls. Until our youngest starts to attend school. So... this morning we headed off to the well to get a tank of water (500 gallons) we were unable to put the hose into the tank bcs the lid was frozen shut! We had brought our morning cup of coffee with us, so my husband quick on his feet suggested we use that! I graciously offered up mine, and he poured it all over the cap finally freeing it from the ice. We quickly than tried to hose off the coffee, but it had already froze! I just thought it was too funny not to share! and on a side note.... it was 7 degree's at 7am w/ the thermometer attached to the house, imagine what it was earlier and not so close to the warm house?!?!


This is our portable cistern in the back of the truck. It holds 500+ gallons. See the green hose? That's going into our pump shed, the concrete that looks like the foundation of the pump shed, that's the actual cisterns that supply water to our house. There is two concrete cisterns fused together under the pump shed. It is all plumed for a well, once we get to the point where we can afford to have one dug. The community well is less than a tenth of a mile away, cost 40 per year and its really that bad. The worst time of year to have to haul water is in the summer, bcs I try and grow lots of things. Therefore, I don't ask for much help hauling water in the summer time!

3 comments:

Amy said...

WOW!!! That is friggin' COLD!

I'm so impressed that you guys haul your own water! That so... Little House on the Prairie or something. lol :)

Your new blog design looks great by the way! How did you do it?! I'd love to change mine up but I'm totally clueless. lol

JulieD&TraviD said...

Yeah i feel pretty Little House on the Prairie out here sometimes!!! LOL

The design is easy... (as I say than have to look again how to do it!)... go to layout on the page that lists your blogs (where you can click to edit or view them) than go to Pick New Template... let me know if you can find it! If not i'll figure out better instructions 4 u! Thanks for all the comments on my blog! I really do enjoy blogging... the pictures can take a lot of time to get into the right spot. Do you have any tricks?

Amy said...

The only trick I've discovered is that if you upload the LAST picture you want to feature first, and continue to upload from last to first, then your pictures will be in the right order and you won't have to do so much re-arranging. I don't know why it's backwards like that, but it is. That's the only tip I have! I have the same problem.