Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Creme Puffs...






I had an over abundance of eggs and wanted to do something different with them so thinking back I remembered my mom making creme puffs when she had the same situation. So here they are....


Preheat oven to 425 degree's.

Start with one cup of water and a 1/2 cup of butter, heat at medium heat melting the butter.




Add one cup flour, and 1/4 tsp salt .. stir mixture until it forms a ball.






Once its formed a ball transfer to a large mixing bowl.







Mix in one egg at a time, mixing in 4 total.






Since I was putting a sweet something in the center I decided to add a couple tablespoons of sugar to the mix.






Once the dough is all mixed, place spoon fulls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. You know how lots of recipes say ungreased? I just don't get that it seems those recipes stick more! Is it just my cheap cookie sheets or me? I don't know but i usually at least grease lightly.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and the centers are completely dry. Place them on a drying rack to cool.




They are pretty simple to make, I should have baked mine the full 25 minutes... mine were a little doughy inside. Lots of things can go in the center of the babies... pudding, chicken salad mix, the list goes on and on. I had some apples going bad on my counter so I cooked them down, added a bit of cinnamon and sugar and waaaala! They were delicious! Sprinkle the top w/ powered sugar for a fancy decoration. I know super fancy right? well the kids liked it and I could use the extra sweet that day! So much that later that night i melted a few tablespoons of chocolate chips and dipped pieces of a puff into it... oh yum!!!
Creme Puffs -- I got this recipe from all recipes.com of course altering it for taste. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Puffs/Detail.aspx
INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs



DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
In a large pot, bring water and butter to a rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or stand mixer, beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Centers should be dry.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Those look fantastic! Yummm......